About This Page
The links here are to sites that change frequently such as news, traffic and opinions. All of the links have been verified as of 11/11/08, and I was surprised by how many major organizations had changed their home page addresses.
Do we really need a page of links in these days of Google? Probably not, but the old page needed updating, so now it's updated. On the other hand, there have been no shortage of times that finding the right link has been a time consuming process, so this can help in that area.
Links categories on this page
Traffic is at the end of the page because some of the information is only available through frames (techno, sorry) and I don't like using them. However, I'm glad I got the information long ago because I don't think I could have found the links now.
Real News (Sometimes)
- Yahoo!'s Most-viewed Content
- AP News
- Reuters News
- ABC News.com
- Fox News
- MSNBC, CNBC & the Wall Street Journal
- TechWeb: The Business Tehcnology Network
TV Networks Home Pages
I made this list quite a while ago thinking of just the "major" networks. There are certainly many more of them giving news now.
Local News (Los Angeles Area)
- KCBS - Channel 2
- KNBC - Channel 4
- KABC - Channel 7
- KTTV (Fox) - Channel 11
- KTLA (WB) - Channel 5
- KCAL - Channel 9
- KCOP - Channel 13, no longer UPN, now part of FOX
- KCET - public television
- KADY (UPN) - Channel 63, Camarillo.
It's here just to be complete, there isn't any special news here.
- The LA Times
- USA Today - California
- The Washington Post
- Inside VC - it's the only local news available.
Wildland Fire Status
- Ventura County Fire Department - It's hard to get news about wildfires, and in this area you want specifics. Unfortunately this site often doesn't measure up, but sometimes it's the only source.
- The National Incident Information Center National Incident Information Center morning report is published daily during fire season and provides current information on the national wildland fire situation, burned area rehabilitation activities and more.
- The Los Padres National Forest Current Conditons web page is a subset of the National Incident Information Center.
- boingboing - "a directory of wonderful things" but there's quite a techno-nerd slant to a lot of what's posted there
- Iambe: Intimate & Interactive
- Modern Humorist
- Plastic: Recycling the web in real time - Operating somewhere between anarchy and hierarchy, Plastic is a live collaboration between the Web's smartest readers and the Web's smartest editors, a place to suggest and discuss the most worthwhile news, opinions, rumors, humor, and anecdotes online. Drawing from the best material posted to Plastic's sections by editors from SPIN, Modern Humorist, The New Republic Online, and other top sites, Plastic homepage editors Joey Anuff and Tom Dowe give you a summary view of what Plastic is talking about at any given moment.
- memepool - it's the ritalin
Not Really the News
Weird & Entertaining
- Prehensile Tales - from the mind of John Halycon Styn, whoever that is
- BushBlog - A fake diary from Shrubya
- The Bondage File - Each week the Bondage File scours the globe for weird news. Be forewarned. Some of these tales have been known to make even hardened wire editors shoot coffee out their noses. Updated every Friday.
- Sigalert - Ventura Traffic Report is now the way to go.
- Ventura County Traffic Information
- Ventura County Star has some local cameras, and has partnered with SigAlert, which gives the best speed maps.
- CHP TRaffic Incident Information Page
- LA City Traffic Info - can zoom into specific small areas for read speeds.
- National Traffic and Road Closure Information
- KNBC Traffic info no longer has a direct link
Current Freeway Conditions
These items do not automatically update. Hit the Refresh button on your browser to update the reports. Netscape requires clicking on the "full screen" links.
State Route 23 (full screen)
US 101 - Ventura Freeway (full screen)
State Route 118 - Ronald Reagan Freeway (full screen)
Interstate Route 5 (full screen)
405 (full screen)