About This Page
The links here are to sites that change frequently such as news, traffic and opinions. All of the links have been verified as of 11/11/08, and I was surprised by how many major organizations had changed their home page addresses.
Do we really need a page of links in these days of Google? Probably not, but the old page needed updating, so now it's updated. On the other hand, there have been no shortage of times that finding the right link has been a time consuming process, so this can help in that area.
Links categories on this page
Real News (Sometimes)
- Yahoo!'s Most-viewed Content
- AP News
- Reuters News
- ABC News.com
- Fox News (well, it used to be news)
- InformationWeek: IT stuff
TV Networks Home Pages
I made this list quite a while ago thinking of just the "major" networks. There are certainly many more of them giving news now.
Local News (Los Angeles Area)
- KCBS - Channel 2
- KNBC - Channel 4
- KABC - Channel 7
- KTTV (Fox) - Channel 11
- KTLA (WB) - Channel 5
- KCAL - Channel 9 (uses KCBS website)
- KCOP - Channel 13, no longer UPN, now part of FOX
- KCET - public television
- KADY (UPN) - Channel 63, Camarillo.
It's here just to be complete, there isn't any special news here.
- The LA Times
- USA Today - California
- The Washington Post
- Ventura County Star
Wildland Fire Status
- Ventura County Fire Department - It's hard to get news about wildfires, and in this area you want specifics. Unfortunately this site often doesn't measure up, but sometimes it's the only source.
- The National Incident Information Center National Incident Information Center morning report is published daily during fire season and provides current information on the national wildland fire situation, burned area rehabilitation activities and more.
- The Los Padres National Forest Current Conditons web page is a subset of the National Incident Information Center.
Not Really the News
Weird & Entertaining
- Prehensile Tales - from the mind of John Halycon Styn, whoever that is
- BushBlog - A fake diary from Shrubya
- Sigalert - Ventura Traffic Report is now the way to go.
- Ventura County Traffic Information
- CHP TRaffic Incident Information Page
- LA City Traffic Info - can zoom into specific small areas for read speeds.
- National Traffic and Road Closure Information
- KNBC Traffic info no longer has a direct link
Current Freeway Conditions
The California Department of Transportation used to have a page for traffic conditions for every major freeway. That was a long time ago, and real time maps have taken over. The best starting place for DOT information is now their travel page.