Having just received one of those reminders of how the Pilgrims shared with the Indians, which started the tradition of Thanksgiving, I was inspired to find a little more of the true history. Here are a few likes that tell the real story.
- The Fourth World Documentation Project’s Thanksgiving Information has lots of historical details. You can get most of the info by reading An introduction for teachers. It reminds us that the celebration was more of a treaty negotiation, and was intended to last until more Puritans arrived to help exterminate the heathens. This item has the most details and historical references, but is also the longest.
- The Thanksgiving Story gives an only partially-sanitized version. Short and sweet.
- One person’s account of what they found on the internet in a similar search to mine. A good mix between lots of info and relatively short.
- History of Thanksgiving is short.
- The History Channel has a page on Mayflower Myths and another on Other Feast Facts. Both are short but don’t provide a lot of the unspoken history mentioned in the first item here.
Enjoy your food, but remember it’s not all about what they taught you in grade school.